The sculptor Victorio Macho was born in Palencia in 1887 and began his artistic training in the city of Santander. In 1903 he joined the “Escuela de Bellas Artes de San Fernando” in Madrid.
He moved to Madrid where he developed an intense artistic activity, with an interesting legacy of drawings and portraits made during his youth, becaming one of the most important spanish sculptors of the modern era.
In the early twenties he finished some of his masterpieces like the statue of his brother Marcelo, the Monument to “Ramón y Cajal” and “El Cristo de Otero”. He celebrates succesful individual expositions in Madrid, and represents Spain in the XIV edition of the Venetian Biannual .
The Civil War interrupted his career and led him to Valencia, Paris and Russia before settling for a time in America, where he created monuments that will increase his fame. After an extended stay in Lima and his marriage to the young Peruvian Zoila Barrós he returns to Spain in 1952.
Soon after, fulfilling his desire to live in Toledo, he instructs his friend the architect Secundino Zuazo to build his house, museum and workshop in the Tarpeian Rock. Here is where he spends the last stage of his life. He died in 1966, and was buried as he wished at the feet of Christ Otero Palencia.